If you have found yourself in a state of fashion reverie over Lorry Newhouse’s debut collection—us=guilty!—then you will be thrilled to gain more insight into the coveted label. We had the privilege to ask Newhouse a few questions exclusively for our Tumblr readers. Pour over them below and prepare to fall even harder for her fairytale designs.
1. How has fashion impacted your life? When did you first realize you wanted to be a designer?
While studying film at Yale I’d go with a group of girlfriends to Sal’s (Salvation Army) in our tall platform shoes and pocket books hanging from our wrists. This was the beginning of my vintage couture collection since Sal’s was the first of its kind. I later studied pattern making and corset work in Paris learning from the top fashion houses. I started my company first with gloves, and then tops, which evolved into separates, and day to evening wear.
2. Your collection boasts 35 exquisite pieces, from glamorous gowns to cropped jackets and sheer blouses, do you have a personal favorite piece? How would you style it?
I have lots of favorites but the gold lame dress stands out for an evening piece. It has this incredible liquid gold look that is amazing. I would pair it with a very simple pair of gold studs and rhinestone encrusted gold sandals.
3. Everything in your line is made right in the NYC Garment District, can you explain why you chose to go local?
The NYC Garment District is very important to me. It is an important institution that needs to be supported. I feel so lucky that I can go to the GD and meet with fabric sourcers that carry beautiful intricate fabrics from all over the world. The Garment district inspires me daily and was a big reason why I started the line.
4. What is one thing you will be wearing a lot of this spring?
I will be wearing lots of my sheer fil coupe pleated dresses in bright colors layered with a delicate lace blouse layer over it.
5. Every woman should own ____________
Her own bank account no matter what size it is.
Give your locks some love à la Miranda Kerr!