With Lanvin as a last name, an innate sense of style is bound to follow. Exemplified by the likes of Alessandra Lanvin, she brings her on-trend aesthetic to the masses with Aperlai, a to-die-for line of high-end footwear. The collection of standout shoes, started in 2009, has graced the soles of celebrities and pages of fashion magazines alike. We recently had a quick chat with the darling designer—see our convo below!
1. How did you come up with the name Aperlai for your collection?
Aperlai is the name of the ancient lycian city, 20 minutes boat ride away from my family house, a nest of happy memories and summer feasts. As homage to these precious moments I choose Aperlai as the name of my shoe brand.
2. Your designs are very avant-garde—where do you find inspiration to create such artistic pieces?
Décolletés, graphic pure lines and essential sophistication are the leitmotivs of the Aperlai style. Art, as well as everyday life inspire me a lot. Miro works and Calder installations inspired our FW12 collection.
3. After marrying into the Lanvin family, do you feel as though you’re inspired by the brand’s aesthetic for your own designs?
I have always loved Lanvin style (who doesn’t?!) and the last show was amazing!! but founding Aperlai I wanted to satisfy my passion for shoes and my personal taste of beauty.
4. Do you have any hopes to branch out beyond footwear in future collections?
We are working on other accessories to complete the offer.
5. Of all your creations, do you have a certain shoe that stands out as a personal favorite among the rest?
I love all of them, but the Geisha Doll from FW12 collection is “my favorite moment”.