We’re all familiar with Juicy Couture and their eponymous tracksuits—if you weren’t sporting those logo-emblazoned sweatpants in the early 2000s you were certainly in the minority. In a departure from their wildly successful loungewear, Juicy creators Pamela Skaist-Levy (@juicyfounder) and Gela Nash-Taylor (@juicyfounder2) have moved onto their next venture, a Cali-cool collection called Skaist-Taylor, which is showing at NYFW on Sunday! The lovely duo was kind enough to entertain a few burning questions we had about their latest endeavor—read on, and join the rest of us at Team Zoe in anxiously awaiting their approaching presentation!
1. You recently just took an eighteen-month hiatus after leaving Juicy Couture in the hands of Liz Claiborne Inc.—can you fill in our Zoe Reporters on how that time was spent?
We really spent the long 18 months thinking about what was important to us. It was just enough time to get us totally wound up and count the seconds until we COULD create again…Fashion jail was tough but invigorating.
2. How did the inspiration and creative process for your new line, Skaist-Taylor, differ from that of your previous endeavors?
The process is always the same. We think about clothes we are dying to wear. With Juicy we were obsessed with casual luxury. The vibe of Skaist-Taylor is more of a well-rounded collection concept.
3. Do each of you have distinct roles in your partnership, or do you find you share most responsibilities?
We like to stick together. Who wouldn’t want to hang out with their best friend all day?
4. You have been best friends for over two decades—how do you remain such close friends while maintaining a business relationship?
We really don’t have a business relationship. We are friends first and foremost.
5. The upcoming Skaist-Taylor presentation will serve as the first time you two are showing at NYFW—what fashion week experiences are you most looking forward to?
We are looking forward to everything…It feels like the early days of Juicy, creating with a kick ass team, where everyone is happy and loves the product. We are looking to share California Eccentric with NYC.
6. What’s next on the horizon for Skaist-Taylor?
We don’t quite know what’s next, just want to enjoy where we are right now…NYC!!